Avoiding being « uberised », innovating like startups in large rigid structures, helping employees regain creativity, exploring new business models… are the issues we see our clients confronted by everyday.
To foster innovation in large corporations, several keys and « difficult to get » ingredients need to be gathered: creativity, market awareness and risk mindset whilst being reassuring to existing customers with a solid efficient structure.
Continue reading “Mentoring for innovation culture”
A consultant is someone that spent 10,000 hours on a subject that is really critical for your business once every 3 years.
One of the most balanced article I read on innovation and the disruption myth was from 2014. It’s “The Disruption Machine – What the gospel of innovation gets wrong.” from Jill LEPORE.
Disruptive innovation is a theory about why businesses fail. It’s not more than that. It doesn’t explain change. It’s not a law of nature. It’s an artifact of history, an idea, forged in time; it’s the manufacture of a moment of upsetting and edgy uncertainty. Transfixed by change, it’s blind to continuity. It makes a very poor prophet
Innovation is always difficult to grasp because corporate culture lags behind.
The market shifts that your organization has internalized and adapted to are usually ten years old. For your teams, Uber might still be considered a startup. Or worse… Facebook.
Continue reading “Rear-view innovation”
Innovation is a game played at the startup, industry, and ecosystemic level. And the common resource of these games is vastly misunderstood. It’s risk.
This is the fifth startup post-mortem that I’m reading this morning.
While startups are not failing more, they’re just more vocal about it. This is a good thing. Hopefully, it will hep dismiss the illusion that a) anyone can launch a successful startup and b) the next stage of economic growth for Western countries will come from under-staffed, ill-prepared tech entrepreneurs.
Continue reading “The startup game and its metagame”
Initially, 80% of startups fail at designing a workable solution to early adopters’ problem, from whom they can learn. Out of the remaining 20%, 80% fail at building on-going traction from a core market. Eventually, 80% of the few that survive fail at scaling this traction up, because they weren’t prepared from day one.
At the end of last year, Expectra interviewed me to include my expert opinion about HR and innovation in their monthly debate. They asked the question “Innovation in the business: Do HR have to be involved?” And of course, I said “no”. Here’s the translation of the whole debate starting with Isaac Getz (professor at ESCP Europe) opinion that yes HR should be involved and finishing with mine:
Continue reading “HR and Innovation from Expectra’s interview”